Live Chat Citizen Action Center
Osceola Sectional Hero
Administration Building - Community Development Department
M-Th: 7:30AM - 5:00PM; Fri: 9:00AM-5:00PM
(407) 742-0200
1 Courthouse Square,
Suite 1400
Kissimmee, FL 34741


The information provided below is intended to deliver topics of interest to homeowners in Osceola County. Much of the information is hosted externally by local, state, and national providers.

Asbestos Information

Florida Building Code requires a building permit for the demolition or renovation of an existing structure containing asbestos. The building permit shall contain an asbestos notification statement which indicates the owner's or operator's responsibility to comply with the provisions of Section 469.003, Florida Statutes, and to notify the Department of Environmental Protection of his or her intentions to remove asbestos, when applicable, in accordance with state and federal laws. An owner of a residential building may qualify for a licensing exemption if comply with the provisions of Section 469.002, Florida Statutes.

Asbestos Disclosure Statement

Chapter 469, F.S. - Asbestos Abatement

Department of Environmental Protection: Central FL

Department of Environmental Protection: Air Rules

Florida Administrative Code: Asbestos Program

Energy Efficiency

U.S. Department of Energy: Energy Efficiency

Energy Star - Solutions for Energy Efficiency Protect Yourself From Carbon Monoxide

Farm Buildings Exemptions

Non-Residential Buildings on farms are exempt from the Florida Building Code as provided by law. Below you will find links to Florida Statutes for more information.

Chapter 604 - General Agriculture Laws

Chapter 604.50 - Non-Residential Farm Buildings

Homeowners Acting as a Contractor

As per Florida Statutes, Section 489.103, owners of property are exempted from the contracting license requirement when acting as their own contractor and providing direct, onsite supervision themselves of all work not performed by licensed contractors. This exemption has specific limitations.

Disclosure Statement

State law requires construction to be done by licensed contractors. You have applied for a permit under an exemption to that law. The exemption allows you, as the owner of your property, to act as your own contractor with certain restrictions even though you do not have a license. You must provide direct, onsite supervision of the construction yourself. You may build or improve a one-family or two-family residence or a farm outbuilding. You may also build or improve a commercial building, provided your costs do not exceed $75,000. The building or residence must be for your own use or occupancy. It may not be built or substantially improved for sale or lease. If you sell or lease a building you have built or substantially improved yourself within 1 year after the construction is complete, the law will presume that you built or substantially improved it for sale or lease, which is a violation of this exemption. You may not hire an unlicensed person to act as your contractor or to supervise people working on your building. It is your responsibility to make sure that people employed by you have licenses required by state law and by county or municipal licensing ordinances. You may not delegate the responsibility for supervising work to a licensed contractor who is not licensed to perform the work being done. Any person working on your building who is not licensed must work under your direct supervision and must be employed by you, which means that you must deduct F.I.C.A. and withholding tax and provide workers' compensation for that employee, all as prescribed by law. Your construction must comply with all applicable laws, ordinances, building codes, and zoning regulations.

Manufactured Housing

Manufactured Housing is the term used to describe both modular and mobile homes, since both are manufactured in a plant and transported to the site. The best way to identify one is by the type of insignia the unit bears, which represents the code or standard to which it was built. The Manufactured Buildings Program which includes modular homes is administered by the Florida Department of Consumers Affairs (DCA). An insignia from DCA indicates that the modular home was built in compliance with the Florida Building Code. The Mobile Homes Program is administered by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. Mobile Homes are built in accordance with federal U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) code that supersedes state or local building codes. Both modular homes and mobile homes require a local building permit for set up on any lot.

Residential Mobile Home Permit

FDCA: Manufactured Buildings Manufactured Housing


Below you will find external links to national, state and local agencies and organizations with related information.

Build A Better Home: Moisture Resistant Homes

Florida Department of Environmental Protection Mold and Moisture

Florida Department of Health: Mold and Moisture

UF IFAS Extension: Moisture, Mold, and Mildew

Product Approval

Wind Speed Information